The Milan Design Week – Salone del Mobile is just behind the corner (12th-17th April 2016) so it’s high time to look into interesting events happening around the city and make a plan! Oh boy, so much easier said than done, with thousands of showrooms, new designs and installations located in three main districts (Brera, Tortona, Lambrate) of Milan.
Only few days left til all the fun begins and I will hang out with fellow bloggers and design friends, to spot the latest trends for you. I’m planning to report A LOT of what we do on my Snapchat (live videos – passionshake), Instagram and facebook page, so if you’d like to see some updates, stay in touch. Once Salone del Mobile is finished you can count on posts summarizing the whole week.
Below you can see my general plan, or maybe I should call it a draft because I have a feeling there will be plenty of additional events added to the list, on the way!
3 Districts you can’t miss:
// Ventura Lambrate // – my favourite from last year
Lambrate district will be filled with exploration of latest design research, projects, prestigious installations, showcasing work of over 160 exhibitors, under the main trend: Memphisism & Mad men.
Memphisism – Geometric shapes, asymmetry, colourfulness and, in particular, unusual colour combinations.
Mad Man – Is it possible to recognise if a design is made by a man or a woman? Do you see different kinds of shapes, use of materials or techniques?
1. The Structure Exhibition
26 Talented Norwegian designers including Andreas Egesvik and Lars Beller Fjetland will show their latest designs in Lambrate district.
2. The Composed Exhibition
Styled by Studio IJM, presenting new design talents.
(Via Privata Oslavia 7)
3. The Galleries and Garages
Via Ventura is the key spot in the districts with a large number of alternative galleries, where young designers, will show their work
// Tortona zone //
200 events in the Tortona district, a creative hub with an international flavour, where design, fashion and culture meet each year.
1. Superstudio – ‘Future is nhow’ – Via Tortona 27
2. ‘The unexpected welcome’ – Shwroom by Moooi – Via Savona 56
3. Archiproducts – “Live, work, design” – Via Tortona 31. Check my visit from last year here.
4. Houzz – The New way to design your home – Via Tortona 31, where I will be already on Monday, meeting Italian bloggers and designers to celebrate the start of the Design Week (yey!)
Full list of events in Tortona zona here.
// Brera Design District //
The theme of 2016 is “Designing is listening”
Main Events in Via Palermo:
1. Brera Design Apartment – New showrom, located in one of the beautiful courtyards in Via Palermo.
2. Kinetic Garden – Created by Piuarch, is an optical installation with botanical essences, set-up on the rooftop garden in Via Palermo 1.
3. Marrimeko – Exhibits unique Finish designs in Via Palermo 8.
See full list of events in Brera here.
Other places I will be visiting:
- Rho Fiera – Satellite – SaloneSatellite, this year’s theme is “new materials, new design”. A shortlist of 700 designers age under 35, will exhibit their work.
- COS Store – Forest light installation by Sou Fujimoto (I’m sure it’s going to be amazing!)
- Spazio Rossana Orlandi
- 10 Corso Como
This is how it looks for now. Would you add something to the list?
I need a very comfy shoes and spacial powers to be in all those places but I will make it!
Are you going to be in Milan during Salone del Mobile? Let me know so we can hang out together!